JANUARY

As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him.  

-Psalm 103:13-

Take a moment & reflect:
Who loved you best as a child?

Polar bears are among the best mothers in all of nature.  They feed and protect their cubs for 2 1/2 years before sending them off to start their own family.  I remember being upset in elementary school when I learned that father polar bears are not good fathers.  They leave or try to attack the cubs.  If you already knew that, you may have scratched your head to see this verse about good fathers on a painting with polar bears.  As I contemplated which verse to add to this painting, I struggled with Psalm 103:13.  I could think of so many who I know and love that did not have a compassionate father.  How can I put this verse in here, knowing these loved ones would be getting a calendar?  I know some wonderful fathers, but I also know some lousy ones.  What do I do with this, Lord? 

"As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him." It rang through my mind over and over again with this painting of a mother bear with two cubs.  In no way do I claim to have answers, so please read and study the scripture for yourself.  But as I questioned the Lord on this verse, He began to show me a few things.

I once heard Louie Giglio say, "God is not a bigger version of your father.  He is a perfect version of your father."  What God began to reveal in those days of questioning how a verse about "father" should go on a picture of "mother" was that God really is not like any of us (Isaiah 55:8-9).  He is so much better.  

One time Jesus was talking to a crowd of people.  He said to them, "Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?  If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him! (Matthew 7:9-11)

I praise God for a father who gave me bread & fish.  But I question, what do you do with this verse if you had a father who gave you a stone & a snake?  How does God act towards those children?

I was reminded of Romans 3:23, "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."  His goodness and glory not only surpasses the goodness of the "bad" fathers, but it surpasses that of the "good" ones too.  

Remember that person you thought of a moment ago?  The one who loved you best as a child?  That person, be it a father, mother, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, aunt, uncle, cousin, friend, teacher...that "good" person was who Jesus was talking about in Matthew 7.  That person, though they were a sinner, knew how to give good to you as a child.  Therefore, how much more will our perfect Father give good gifts to those who ask?  

"As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him."

The focal point of this verse is not on fathers, but rather on the LORD.  As a father, as a perfect Father, the LORD has compassion on you.  God is not a bigger version of your earthly father, He is your perfect Father.  He is not a bigger version of the person who loved you most as a child, He is your perfect Lover.  His love for you is whole, unmerited, & never ending.

The LORD is more compassionate that any of us dare to dream.  He is full of mercy & kindness.  Not long ago, I hit a wall of shame in my walk with Jesus.  A shame that spoke fear and lies about turning to the Lord.  When I brought this up in counseling, my counselor asked me to reflect on other times I had felt shame around Jesus.  How did Jesus respond in times past?   He was kind & compassionate.  Without fail He showed love and kindness over and over again.  He never turned me away.  There were no exceptions.

So I put a verse about "father" on a painting of "mother."  Both are broken shadows of the one true Father God, who loves us perfectly every single day.

I pray 2023 will be a year of intimacy and growth with the One who loves you best.

If the concept of God as a father hits cords in you, I recommend checking out these books.  They have helped me a lot in my own wrestling match with the Father.
Not Forsaken by Louie Giglio
The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning


Comments

  1. Thank you so much for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful insight and wisdom. I’m seeing the month of January from a new perspective. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, this was beautifully written, my friend! Thank you for sharing your art with us and what the Lord teaches you in His Word. So grateful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely and such a good reminder that God is even better than the person who loved us the best

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily, this is so well written with great insights for God’s people. It’s is evidently clear The Lord has imparted to you wisdom and gifts to share for us all. This months scripture and analogy of a polar bear is so crucial for the wounded or the fatherless to know and understand. I counsel so many broken and lost adult females who do not know this The Father’s loving and merciful character! My father died when I was 11 years old and throughout my childhood and my 20’s I only knew a legalistic view of my now Father, Redeemer and Savior! I too had a misrepresentation of God’s abundant love and compassion until I was in my 30’s. Thank you Emily for your transparency and desire to not only hear from the Lord, but to use your pain and healing to publish this wonderful devotional calendar. It’s so intentional and will meet so many right where they are in their journey.
    Love you so much and I’m so proud of you! Using your pain for others isn’t always easy. You are a Daughter of the King and serving his Kingdom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DECEMBER

Huntsville Hospital Project

APRIL '24